Tuesday, November 17, 2015

New Beginnings

"New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings."

 Beginning today, right now, I am starting again.

Winter is upon us. Winter, my favorite season of the year. The season where the chill of the air bites our cheeks as we sail through snow. The season of holidays and shimmering snowflakes and sparkling decorations; fireworks and bright lights. I am coming into the season anew.

The past few weeks have been full of small accomplishments. I am accomplishing more in the gym. Slowly I am trying to get my body prepared for ski season. I skinned up the pass and (sort-of) skied back down the skin track. The funny part is, with my swollen belly and my ski pants a little too tight, I was unable to bend all the way over and tighten my boots. I had to have help from a friend in the parking lot. Thus making me the "ski girl" I hate to be. The person who needs help.

I realized while sitting in the snow at the top, that I was unable to stand back up without my poles due to the lack of core muscles. I have decided it would be quite a challenge to get up if I actually fell on skis. However, all of this was almost 2 weeks ago and I have gotten quite a bit better since then. I am waiting for more snowfall to attempt day 2 in the Tetons.

Though it has been a tough time for me, and though I sometimes feel tiny bits of depression and frustration, I am trying to better understand the human body. Particularly I am trying to grasp the overwhelming mind/ body connection. For me, as well as a friend I know who just had a hysterectomy, we are both mentally overwhelmed by our physical limitations. She is sadly suffering and fearful that she will not get back to "normal." I shared the same feelings. I sometimes still share those same feelings.

My new attitude is that today is a new beginning. My past does not define me. I can bravely move forward and confidently embrace the new beginning.  So can anyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment