Wednesday, November 25, 2015

"Rad"

The doctor jargon for radical hysterectomy is "rad."

I walked into the office for an appointment with a new doctor and he said, "You certainly look good for having had a 'rad' eight weeks ago."

Then we did a rundown of the last 8 weeks including the seroma, a second surgery, trouble with my bladder, 4 infections followed by 4 rounds of anti-biotics, and now I am back in the office.  After the rundown he said, "Well, I would have never thought you had a 'rad' 8 weeks ago with complications, you look great!"

I fear that because I am healthy and fit (looking) I have been mistreated by my caregivers. I stroll into the offices over and over with a smile and a healthy complexion. I am not overweight and I wear fitness clothing. Does that mean a doctor can assume my body is healed? My surgeon told me I could do things that clearly I cannot.  He said pain could be my guide, and I have not had any pain. Yet here I am back on the sideline of my own life.

Just for everyone's information, so people can stop assuming that I did this to myself, I was completely released to ski, run, bike, etc at 6 weeks. I have not done one thing that hurt or caused abdominal pain, other than shovel (which I stopped immediately.) Yet, somehow I have an internal injury that is not healing. The wound is supposed to be skin like and smooth and it is raw and swollen. This is causing pressure on my insides making it difficult to eat, drink, and other important body functions.

Sadly, I cannot flex my abdominal muscles until released by my doctor. This means, no more skiing. I am approved for cardio such as elliptical or bicycle, but until further notice, no skiing.

I am still waiting to hear from my team at Huntsman to make sure they agree with the diagnosis of my Jackson doctor. Perhaps he will want to see me again. Maybe I can walk into the room in black workout tights and cute Lululemon jacket, and I can be told I am fine, and released for all activity. Or maybe I should show up in a moo-moo with my hair a complete mess and be told I need another 4 weeks of recovery.

All I want is to be told the truth. That would be "rad."


Here are a few pictures of my first post cancer ski. An epic moment for my soul.




No comments:

Post a Comment