Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Scaring yourself

The thrill of scaring yourself:

As you all know I am an adrenaline junkie. I love to ski off cliffs, ride a bike on the ledge of a mountain, jump from high points into water, etc.  As any extreme athlete will tell you, the secret to fearlessly pursuing these activities is feeling "in control" of the situation. I can ski off the cliff because I have spent 100's of days preparing my muscles, joints, tendons and mind. I've gone to Avalanche training, I have diligently studied the terrain, I've checked and rechecked my top of the line equipment. The same with biking, paragliding, sky diving, kayaking, or any activity.  I am strong and smart and prepared for what to do if something goes wrong. 

The point of this post is to tell you all what I did that scared me more than any previous wild idea...  I Google imaged abdominal hysterectomy. Bad idea! It's easy to forget when a doctor shows you a nice clean diagram of human insides that everything is surrounded by blood and fat and tissue. The image I saw was a gruesome hip to hip opening full of the remains of a great white shark attack. (If you Google it be prepared for sleepless nights and a bit of nausea.) 

I honestly wish I didn't see that image. Ignorance is bliss in this situation. The reason it is so scary is because I'm not in control. If I were a trained oncology surgeon and could do my own surgery that would be better. Instead, I will be knocked out with the control passed into the hands of a stranger. Giving control to a stranger is a foreign concept to a thrill seeker. It's like scuba diving without checking your oxygen tank.  It's like climbing the Grand Teton when someone else packed your pack. But here I go, cliff jumping into water I cannot even see!


3 comments:

  1. Lily, being in control is always better, but remember, the surgeon has also trained and studied. This is his area of expertise. Just be in good mind, we will all be praying for you. You are loved by so many people. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that faith is the common denominator. You have acquired faith in your abilities and trust you will succeed before you jump. It is my belief that you are in the best of hands with Huntsman. And, It is my wish for you that you find yourself in a place of faith and trust in your surgeon to care for you. It is so peaceful when you let go. Just like the first time you lept from the cliff and landed the big one on your skis, you will be changed forever...changed for the better. Xo, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do so admire your strength, courage, lust for life and adventure. Your spirit shines brightest of anyone I’ve ever known.

    ReplyDelete