Sunday, September 13, 2015

What happens when?

What happens when?...

What happens when you are told you have cancer?  I went on a backpacking trip. The Teton Crest Trail would be my counselor. During my 3 day trip I decided I was on a reality show called "What happens when?"  The concept of the show is to break terrifying news to someone and see how that person reacts. The show has a panel of therapists, doctors and health professionals that judge your actions and reactions. Imagining that I was a contestant on the show I dealt with the emotions as I climbed, descended, scrambled and schlepped my way through the majestic Tetons. I screamed into valleys and cried beneath the flickering light of a thunder storm. Carefully stepping across jagged lose rocks I concluded that at the end of the trail it would all be fake and I would be handsomely rewarded for my ability to handle the news. Sadly, the end of the road had no camera crews or oversize checks with my name. I was at death canyon parking lot with the reality of the situation loaded heavier on me than my overstuffed backpack.

Now it's 2 weeks later. I've visited the Huntsman Cancer Hospital to have my options laid before me. Words like radiation, chemo, surgery, recovery and remission have been added to my daily conversations.

I'm not scared! I'm not sick! Just yesterday I ran a sub-1 hour 10k, climbed Beaver Mountain and paraglided back to the ground.

The plan is a radical hysterectomy scheduled for October 2. Not exactly how I prefer using the word "radical."  However this is my radical journey and I chose to share it with you.






8 comments:

  1. Wow! I love you Sos! You are so inspiring and never cease to amaze me. . . beijos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey. I've been living vicariously through your amazing adventurers you post on FB for years. You've been inspiring me since we were in grade school, and you continue to amaze me through adulthood. You'll handle this with grace and your kick-ass attitude like you handle all things. I'll be thinking about you through this tough journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are truly and amazing woman and my thoughts and prayers are with you on this 'radical' journey! I have no doubt you'll come out on top. We are here for you! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always had amazing friends near and far, current and past. My heart has grown with the love and support from so many. (Like when the grinch's heart grew three sizes in one night. )

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not brave till you have to battle cancer with your head held high. You my friend, are BRAVE! Seek out the missionaries and ask them to give you a priesthood blessing. I promise you it can give you the comfort and understanding you need!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsey! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and allowing others to enter this with you. It is inspiring and encouraging. Thank you! I will pray for you and the surgical staff on Friday.

    ReplyDelete