Saturday, October 10, 2015

Bad Kangaroo

Bad kangaroo

Turns out the kangaroo pouch is bad news. It is a seroma. I'm sorry for not blogging but the last three days have been really difficult. With no sugar coating, here is the story:

I mentioned I was having bleeding after my long walk on Tuesday. When it continued over night I called my team at Huntsman. They advised going to Dr. Gerling in Jackson. She is the doc who diagnosed me. I called at 8:45 and by 9:15 she had used a scalpel to reopen the wound to release the seroma. Blood was everywhere. Like a haunted house zombie scene. I'm not exaggerating. She then debreeded the wound and packed it. Very painful steps.

At 4:30 the same day I was back with my best pal and as Dr. Gerling did it again, Elizabeth watched and took notes because she was to do it twice a day for 4-6 weeks. This time she poked a copper headed stick multiple times directly into the wound to cause blood clotting. OUCH!

Just so you understand the severity of the wound, it is 10 inches long and 3 inches deep. I have a picture that I'm not going to post.

Thursday was filled with pain, light headedness, temperature spikes, lack of appetite and total energy loss. I had similar symptoms to a person in shock. Emotional and physical setback was causing me to feel anger and depression and again I called Huntsman. I was monitoring my temperature closely overnight, until my Friday 1pm appointment.

After changing the dressing and repacking  the wound by my superhero best girlfriend/ stand in nurse, amazing woman, I had a somewhat difficult road trip to SLC. Thankful that Trey is patient, sympathetic and loving, we made it at exactly 1pm. At 1:01 I had my entire team looking at me. Uncharacteristicly, when Dr. Soisson asked me how I was feeling, I started crying.

The team decided to readmit me to the hospital immediately and since Dr. Soisson is the weekend surgeon on call he would put me back together. The good news, best news, news that makes this a beautiful day is that my pathology on the lymphectomy  was CLEAN!!!  No cancer had spread!!

In a couple hours I'll be getting seen back together. The kangaroo has left the building.

6 comments:

  1. So relieved about the pathology report. The seroma was enough bad news and then some. You are a courageous and inspirational woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are truly amazing with so much courage and strength! Keep fighting one day at a time
    !

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you continue down your recovery path, we continue to send you love & prayers from PA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A clean pathology report? Really, Lindsey? This is the best news a person could ask for. We are so very, very proud of you and how courageous you have been.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. Doing much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy smokes girl. So relieved the path report is clear. Keeping you in my thoughts and praying for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete