Sunday, October 4, 2015

Kangaroo Pouch

Kangaroo Pouch

First of all , If you are going to have a radical hysterectomy with lymph node-ectomy, here is what they don't tell you...

The body looks STRANGE post op.  It starts out like the Michelin man invaded you from knees to chest. Lots of swelling and rolls.  Then you look like Violet Beauregarde from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when she chews the gum and turns into a blueberry. This look comes because of the bruising.

Now I'm 8 days out and I would describe my current look as kangaroo pouch. I don't just have a kangaroo pouch, I can feel the baby kangaroo inside the pouch fighting to get out. He pulls and pushes against my skin. Mostly when I sit or stand.

Despite my pouch, today was my best day yet. My tummy is starting to look more normal.  The swelling is slowly going down. The strips are still holding my incision together but I'm starting to realize I might eventually get back to my pre cancer self.

Trey took both of us on a walk (me and baby kangaroo.) We went to the feedlot where the leaves have fallen. The weather was cool and we walked along the river.  Having jogged on that path many times I wished I could be running, but I was thankful to be walking.  Only a week ago my big activity was a small loop around floor 5 of the hospital.  And the beauty of the Snake River with its fall colors beats floor 5 anytime.

The baby kangaroo started to get restless as we made our way back to the car, reminding me that I can't take things too fast. I must listen to the baby kangaroo.

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! I have always thought of you as a mother kangaroo with a baby kangaroo looking out of your pouch. That's So You, Lindsey! :))))

    ReplyDelete